TIPS AND HINTS
- Utilise all the space in your unit. Make a plan as to how you are going to arrange your items. A good plan will save you the time of having to rearrange your unit. If you are going to be accessing your goods regularly an idea is to leave an aisle in the centre of your unit so that you have a walkway to the back of your unit.
- Label your boxes on all six sides and keep a list for easy reference. This will save you time if you have to look for something specific. When packing boxes ensure they are not too heavy to lift and always put the heavier boxes on the bottom and lighter ones on top. This prevents boxes from being crushed.
- Store the frequently used items closer to the front of your unit to avoid having to search for them. To protect your items cover them with wrapping, bubble wrap and or blankets.
- Disassemble items such as tables, bed frames etc. which will help you save space. Wrap and label all pieces for an easier time when you have to reassemble them. Put all hardware in bags and mark the bags accordingly. If possible, use the original boxes for your electronics and other household items.
- Clean and dry all appliances before storing them. Where possible, leave appliances slightly ajar to prevent mildew.
- Regarding furniture, store couches on an end, stack chairs seat to seat and use the inside of larger appliance and draws to store smaller items.
- Store mattresses and box springs on the long edges and wrap for protection.
- Store mirrors and paintings on end and not flat. Pack books flat to protect their spines.
- When wrapping collectables or anything breakables tape them up after bubble wrapping. This should help in avoiding excess paper to fill the box. Group similar items together and mark the box accordingly.
- Clothing and draperies should be stored in wardrobe boxes and hangers to help retain their original shape and fit.
- Ask upfront regarding the insurance of your goods.
- Do not use a plastic cover which seals your goods as it can retain moisture. Rather make use of a plastic wrapping, bubbles wrapping and or blankets.
- Do not store any food items as your unit will attract unwanted guests!
- Do not pack your boxes so heavy that you not able to lift them.
- Do not assume your home insurance will cover your goods in storage. Enquire upfront.
- Do not use printed newspaper for wrapping, the ink may smudge and get onto your items.
- Do not forget to clean your appliances before storing them.
- Do not store any toxins or flammables such as paint, oil, or gasoline. These items are not permitted to be stored.
Let TCW Self Storage provide you with a simple and stress free storage solution. Send us a mail to firstname.lastname@example.org or call us on 021 534 7029 and let us help you get organised!